22.3.11

Personal bookcase inventory

After completing our group project, I feel that I am ready to deal with my own bookcases...

The truth is: I don't live with Billy but I live with books, a lot of them. In my room, there are two bookshelves: one is for work (anthropology-related literature), the other is for pleasure. I decide to talk about my bookshelf for pleasure.



The first shelf...
Some of my absolute favorite books are on this shelf:


Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
Ett Öga Rött by Jonas Hassen Khemiri
The Book Thief by Mark Zusak
Letters to Lily by Alan MacFarlane
A by Alan Lindsay (my English literature professor)
Hand to Mouth by Paul Auster
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie


The second shelf...
As I move to the second shelf, I realize that there is no logic of how I organize my books because I see The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster lives on this shelf. Then there are a few books on Ireland. Maybe this is an Irish shelf:
The Barrytown Trilogy by Roddy Doyle
Ireland: a social and cultural history 1922-2002 by Terence Brown
Global Ireland by Tom Inglis
The Irish Gulag by Bruce Arnold
Ireland by Lonely Planet
The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien
Dubliners by James Joyce
The Book of Woman by OSHO (a gift from a friend in Dublin)
驚嘆愛爾蘭 by 吳祥輝 (a book on Ireland)

The third shelf...
I thought the books I have in this bookshelf are for pleasure but I was wrong. Many of the books on this shelf are somewhat work stuff too:
極端的年代 (Ages of Extremes I: The short 20th century 1914-1991) by Eric Hobsbawm
極端的年代 (Ages of Extremes II: The short 20th century 1914-1991) by Eric Hobsbawm
資本的年代 (The Age of Capital) by Eric Hobsbawm
想像的共同體 (Imagined Communities) by Benedict Anderson
The Anthropology of Taiwanese Society by Emily Martin Ahern and Hill

And the aforementioned books are put together with:
About a boy by Nick Hornby
High Fidelity by Nick Nornby
Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby
(As you can tell by now, I am a fan of Nick)
The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates
The Tattooed Girl by Joyce Carol Oates
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
The Story of O: The Autobiography of an Irish Outlaw by Olaf Tyaransen (should be on the Irish shelf...)
A Tourish 's Guide to Ireland by Liam O'Flaherty (a gift from a Dublin-based NGO. This should also go to the second shelf...)

The fourth shelf...
This shelf is half empty and I tried to think of why. Then it dawned on me: this shelf was totally empty for a while because I ran out of paper back books when I was organizing this bookshelf three years ago. Then I began to put some work-related books here because the bookshelf for work started to be full. Since the beginning of this year, I have moved some of the books to my office at the university which explains why this shelf is half empty.
Some of the books here are:
Empire by Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri
Multitude by Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri
The Globalization of Nothing 2 by George Ritzer
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx
Writing Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day by Joan Bolker
Melancholy Order by Adam M. McKeown (only the book cover, the book is in my office)
Singapore by Lonely Planet

The fifth shelf...
Maybe I can call this shelf a music shelf as it mainly has books about music artists:
Chronicles by Bob Dylan
Doghouse Roses by Steve Earle
Bound for Glory by Woody Guthrie
Killing Bono by Neil McCormick
Ryan Adams by Michael Heatley
The Progressive Patriot by Billy Bragg
Ulf Lundell by Wahlström & Widstrand
Bruce Springsteen by Dave Marsh


The sixth shelf...
Well, the bottom shelf. It's really kind of messy. I guess you can see by now that the level of organization decreases as we move down the shelves. The books that stay on the bottom shelf are mainly language books for example text books for learning Swedish and some text books about programming. Basically, this is a shelf for storing things I don't really use any more. So I would rather display the Billy T-shirt I got today than go through the messiness of this particular shelf.

1 comment: